Lentil Shepherd’s Pie! A rich, vegan lentil stew topped with homemade mashed potatoes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped leeks (can substitute white onion)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup green (or brown) lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth (I love Pacific Foods low-sodium broth)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bundle fresh thyme
- 1 stem fresh rosemary
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes, chopped into 1″ pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk (or other unsweetened flavor)
- 1/4 cup dairy-free butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Heat the olive oil in a large wide pan (like a Dutch oven) over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook for 10 minutes until vegetables are soft and tender.
- Add in the garlic, lentils, vegetable broth, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low, cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes until lentils are tender. Stir every 5 minutes or so, making sure vegetables aren’t sticking to the bottom of the pan. You may need to add more vegetable broth/water- I like to start with 3 cups broth and go from there, you may use up to 4 cups. Once lentils are cooked, whisk in the tomato paste.
- While the lentils are cooking, make the potatoes. Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover by 1-inch with water. Stir in the salt and bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer potatoes until they are fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and pass them while they are still hot through a food mill or ricer.
- Place the potatoes back in the medium saucepan and stir in the milk and melted butter. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Remove the bay leaves, thyme bundle, rosemary and discard from the lentil mixture and stir in the peas.
- Preheat the broiler. Transfer the lentil mixture to a 9×13 baking dish. Spread the mashed potatoes over the lentils in an even layer. Place the baking dish under the preheated broiler and broil until the potatoes are golden brown and crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, garnish with parsley and serve.