● 1 cup finely ground flour (preferably whole grain)
● ¼ teaspoon salt
● 2 tablespoon cold water
● ¼ cup olive or other vegetable oil
● Sift flour and salt together. Pour the water into the oil. Add to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork until all the flour is dampened.
● Roll out between two sheets of waxed paper to the thickness of thick pie pastry. Place on an ungreased floured baking sheet. Mark off into bite-sized squares with a knife, being careful to prick each square to prevent blisters during baking.
● Bake at 450 degrees for approximately 10 minutes. Watch carefully and do not brown.
● Makes bread for about 50.
As an alternative to baking communion bread, you can purchase unleavened breads such as matzo, chapati or tortillas.